The Epic Move, Part 2

Now that the shop has been freshly painted and is ready for inhabitants (yay!), last week it was time to start actually moving equipment. It took a pretty long time to coordinate schedules with the movers, the window guys, the owners of the house where Edward and Frank were, and myself. I felt like some sort of weird circus conductor (ringmaster?). First order of business, after leaving home at 6:30am and meeting everyone out in Woodstock, was to take off Edward’s power carriage.

The wild turkey outside was clearly interested in our shenanigans.

Ed & Ed Jr. (of Ed Regan Printing Machinery Movers) laid down metal plates along the soft ground outside to give the equipment a solid surface to travel along once outside.

They brought along a massive amount of tools, wood, ropes, and other equipment. I actually expected them to have a bunch of magical machines that would just float everything right out the window, but everything was human powered and done the old fashioned way with sweat and muscle.

Next up was removing Edward’s feedboard.

Then Ed & Ed Jr. jacked up Edward (too many Eds!) and started placing wood beams underneath with wheels so he could be turned to face the window.

At this point, the window guy arrived and began what turned out to be a much more difficult job than anticipated.

At this point I had to leave for traffic court, which was a major bummer. Ed continued taking pictures for me though, which was awesome of him. Two frustrated window guys, one frustrated house owner, two frustrated movers, one broken window, many shreds of window frame, and several freakouts later, Edward was ready to go out the window.

I knew there was a use to all those hours playing with lincoln logs as a kid.

At this point, apparently it started raining pretty heavily and so Ed was unable to get any pictures of Edward actually coming through the window. Edward was doused with a layer of protecting oil to make sure the rain didn’t damage him, and he and Frank, the drying cabinet, and the furniture cabinet were all covered in plastic and left to wait until the next day when the tow truck came to drag them up the hill.

Once at the top of the hill, everybody was secured to the big flat bed and taken back to the warehouse in Indiana where they currently wait for a stretch of good weather to be brought back to the shop.

It was a pretty nerve-wracking day – as Ed, with 30+ years experience in the print moving business said, he moved a 40,000 pound die cutter the week before and on a scale of 1-10 in difficulty that was probably a 7. Getting this equipment out of the basement of a 3 story mansion built into the side of a hill, he said, was a 10.

Full set of pictures can be found here.

Pulp & Press Soundtrack: All The Same” by The Infamous Stringdusters.


About Nina

I am a design consultant, writer, letterpress printer, nature enthusiast, and lover of local/organic food...with a dash of rock and roll. Also, I want to be a cowboy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s